Friday 6 May 2011

How To Make a Successful Living in Music – Take a Chance


Last week I looked at Obsession & Professionalism in a very unscientific guide to Making a Living in Music. Here’s the next instalment.

Part 2 - Take the Chance:
You make your own luck. I know, another cliché, but it’s true. When we reminisce, we often recount on how we met, or what the significant turning points in our musical lives have been. There’s an element of luck, but equally it’s because you have put yourself out there and taken that chance.

A Painful StoryA television producer called me up out of the blue. They were doing a new series and someone had mentioned me. Really! At this time I had no TV experience. But somehow I’ve said ‘yeah I can do that’. Next minute the producer and director have arranged to come to my small flat to sample some of my work. Now I had some samples, but the sound quality was poor and my set up really meagre. As I write this I shudder. I’ll never forget them both squeezed up on my couch straining to hear my music on these pathetic speakers. As much as I felt the embarrassment, and that feeling of being out of my depth I was aware we had made a personal connection. Maybe they saw the potential. They took me on and guided me through the process, giving me a chance and opening other opportunities for me.

The next part to Making a Success in Music is ‘Maintaining Good Relationships’

No comments: